DIY: Painted Frames

Monday, May 20, 2013

Yesterday was my first day off in a few days and of course, I had nothing to do. Now, when I say nothing, there are actually a lot of things I could have done. Instead, I decided to paint some old picture frames I had on my dresser. I can't tell you what it is, but I absolutely love painting frames. I think it's a great way to try new techniques and breathe some new life into a room without spending buckets of money on new decor.

I'm sorry to say I didn't get a picture of the original frames; however, if you can see them as all black, you've got the right idea. The intention was to paint them both to look ombre, but my gold paint was not having it. So I compromised and painted the pink ombre and the gold to look like it was dipped. Feel free to comment if you have any questions! Here are the steps I took to get my (seemingly) new picture frames:


 I used acrylic paint because my Mom has a ton leftover from old projects, but you can use whatever floats your boat. First, paint a layer of white to be your base and top color for the frame. (I did about 3-4 coats)

After I got an even layer of paint, I took hot pink paint and mixed it generously with white to give a lighter shade. I painted a little bit closer to the top than I wanted (I still love how it turned out!), but you can start lower if desired. I used a small sponge brush so the paint would go on evenly without streaks.

For the gold dipped frame, I would suggest marking off with tape or a ruler where you want to start with your darker shade of paint. Since I initially wanted to do ombre as well, I just eyeballed the top so mine was not perfectly even. Paint to the bottom of the frame (Once again, about 3-4 coats) Voila! You're done with your dipped frame!

Now for the final steps of the ombre frame. I had to go back and touch it up since I didn't make my first coat light enough. I turned the brush sideways on the inner edge and made quick, short strokes to create the faded appearance into the darker colors. For the final part, use the original color (the one that you lightened earlier) and blend in the same way. 

And there you have it! You can do either style in whatever color you would like! I'm so excited to have my "new" frames to brighten up my dresser. Below are the final products again:

 

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER