Miss Austen

Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm a HUGE fan of reading and finding new books to read and love! For Christmas my best friend got me a compilation of Jane Austen's novels that is absolutely beautiful and I love Jane Austen's work so I've decided to read all seven books this summer! Her writing is so elegant and beautiful so I really enjoy reading her novels; currently I'm starting Sense and Sensibility and I really like it! My mom and I watched the movie with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson recently and I loved it, so needless to say I'm excited to finish the book and draw parallels. I also got a book called Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy, which is the sort of sequel to Pride and Prejudice which is my all time favorite book and movie.
The book is pretty much from Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy's engagement through t
heir first few months of marriage. It is really nicely written and very close to Austen's style! I loved Pride and Prejudice the book, but it left a desire for more of Lizzy and Mr. Darcy's story as a couple madly in love. This book does a wonderful job of illustrating how incredibly in love they are how pure that love is, which is very hard to find nowadays. In those times, couples hardly touched let alone kissed until they were engaged, which I can't help but think is how it should be. It allows for a more pure and passionate love to grow which is illustrated very well in the novel. Some of the lines in the book lift my heart to hope for something like that in the future. Here's an example:
"The deep love he felt for her was unmistakably visible, as it always was. Yet, a
s she examined his eyes, she was again struck forcibly by the unparalleled esteem he held for her. His love for her, although all consuming, unwavering, and unconditional, was not blind or foolish. He knew her faults, her flaws, her weaknesses. His trust in her was in spite of and due to these incontrovertible facts, not out of besotted passion or bedazzlement..."
This is just one of the many passages that shows how much the couple loves each other. The incorporation of spirituality and religion is vital to their relationship as well which makes me especially happy since that is what is most important in
relationships to me. Well, I'm going to read some more because I can't seem to put this book down! If you read it, let me know your thoughts :)

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER